Latest Forum Posts
- Re:Rip Curl Pro Argentina 2015
Surf News 01-04-15 07:04
- Quiksilver Saquarema Prime 2015
Surf News 01-04-15 07:02
- Re:Rip Curl Pro Junior Series A...
Surf News 01-04-15 07:00
- Re:Rip Curl Pro Bells Beach 2015
Surf News 01-04-15 06:53
- Re:Nick Vasicek wins the 2015 A...
Surf News 01-04-15 06:51
- Re:Caparica Primavera Surf Fest...
Surf News 30-03-15 16:55
- Re:RIP CURL GROMSEARCH 2015 - B...
Surf News 30-03-15 13:57
- Re:Australian Longboard Surfing...
Surf News 29-03-15 13:03
- Re:~Port Taranaki Pro 2015
Surf News 29-03-15 12:59
- Re:WSL Big Wave Award 2015
Surf News 27-03-15 07:40
Who is Online?213 Guests
|Aussie surfers claim main event wildcards|
|Friday, 20 January 2012 12:54|
Three Australians, Wade Carmichael (Avoca, NSW), Eli Steele (Caloundra, Qld) and Tim MacDonald (Stradbroke Island, Qld) have trumped an international field of 16 surfers vying for the final three wildcard spots into the main event of the world’s most prestigious junior tournament, the Billabong World Junior Championships, Gold Coast.
VonZipper Trials finalists. Left to Right: 1st Wade Carmichael, 4th Kelly Norris, 2nd Eli Steele, 3rd Tim MacDonald. Credit: Dunbar/ASP.
To earn their spots the surfers progressed through three rounds in the VonZipper Trials, held in glassy, very contestable one-metre waves at iconic Burleigh Heads. They eliminated surfers from Peru, Tahiti, New Zealand, Japan and Brazil.
1st Wade Carmichael (Avoca, NSW) 14.75pts
2nd Eli Steele (Caloundra, Qld) 12.60pts
3rd Tim MacDonald (Stradbroke Island, Qld) 12.10pts
4th Kelly Norris (Coolum, Qld) 7.00pts